Workers in Bury, Greater Manchester, said they had been informed someone “had been hit on the head” and police officers investigating the tragedy have made two arrests
A 17-year-old boy has died today following a “workplace accident” on an industrial estate in which he was reportedly hit in the head.
The teenager was declared dead at the scene in Bury, Greater Manchester. A 41-year-old man has been since arrested on suspicion of driving offences and gross negligence manslaughter and a 36-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter.
Greater Manchester Police were called to a commercial and residential street near the Fernhill area of the town at around 10am. Fire crews and paramedics also attended the incident.
Officers remained attendance at the scene throughout Thursday, with both police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) making enquiries. A number of police cars were seen parked up on private land at the end of Tile Street, beyond a gated area.
Crime scene investigators were also seen taking photo evidence in the area at around 12.45pm. A number of people were seen coming and going from the scene throughout the afternoon, while the wider industrial estate was busy with businesses open.
A joint investigation is now underway between police and the Health and Safety Executive to establish the full circumstances surrounding the teenager’s death, reports Manchester Evening News.
Witnesses reported a large police presence and paramedics. One worker said the incident had been described to them as an “accident”, but other workers in the area said they had been informed that someone “had been hit on the head”.
A worker at a scrapyard next to the crime scene said: “An ambulance tried coming into the yard. They said apparently somebody had been hurt. Loads of police came and we took them down there.”
A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Police said: “At around 10.10am today (Thursday 8 February 2024), officers were called to reports of concerns for welfare at a business premises on Tile Street, Bury. It was established that a 17-year-old boy was involved in a workplace accident and despite the best efforts of emergency services, he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
“A 41-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of driving offences and gross negligence manslaughter and a 36-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter. A joint investigation between GMP Bury CID and the Health and Safety Executive has been launched to make enquiries into the circumstances that led to the boy’s death. Enquiries are ongoing at this stage.”
The North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) also confirmed it was called out to attend at 10.04am. HSE inspector Lisa Bailey said: “We are aware of an incident and currently making enquiries alongside GMP.”