Grant Paterson has been named as the victim of a fatal suspected gas blast which happened inside a three-storey building in Rome on March 22 – this tragedy happened on holiday
A loving father has tragically died just days after a suspected gas explosion happened at his holiday accomodation in Rome.
Grant Paterson, from East Kilbride, Scotland, has been named as the victim who died following the traumatic blast.
The 54-year-old was still alive when he was pulled from the rubble of a three-storey building on March 22. The “lovely” dad, who has been described as a “true gentleman”, suffered from burns which affected 75 per cent of his body.
He underwent a skin graft and had an operation to remove debris from the building. However, he sadly passed away from his injuries at Sant’ Eugenio Hospital. His daughter flew to Italy to be by his bedside.
Tributes have since poured in from his heartbroken friends and family. Friend Chris Gibson said: “Devastated at the news today that Grant Paterson has lost his battle for survival. RIP and fair winds. You will be sorely missed, big guy.”
Donna Williams-bale said: “Grant was a lovely man, a true gentleman. I will miss our chats whilst I’m travelling. Our deepest condolences, thoughts are with his daughter, family and friends and work colleagues. Rest in Peace Grant, you will be truly missed.”
Anne Perrie added: “So sorry to hear that. RIP Grant.” Grant was a senior member of CalMac’s on-board catering team, reports Daily Record. The company’s Chief Operating Officer Diane Burke said: “Everyone at CalMac is distraught that Grant has passed away.
“He was a true gentleman and a credit to MV Clansman, the vessel he served aboard.
“During a distinguished 12-year career with us, he embodied the very best of CalMac and, with his larger-than-life character, he was much-loved by colleagues and passengers alike. Our thoughts are with Grant’s friends and family at this extremely difficult time.”
Grant had arrived in Rome on Monday, March 17, to enjoy a solo-trip. In an eerie post shared on Facebook after he arrived in the Italian capital, Grant wrote: “Arrived in Rome, trains planes, buses and foot. Accommodation is beautiful.
“This should be a good week…..if I don’t get killed in some ungodly way…. As it’s just me I’m going to sit in a different bit every day.” The cause behind the explosion remains unknown. Pictures taken from the rubble-strewn scene following the blast showed the area taped off by police.
Mayor Roberto Gualtieri ordered a full investigation to be carried out. Local reports suggested a gas leak or gas cylinder had triggered the explosion.
Mayor Gualtieri said: “The important thing is that fortunately there are no victims, although unfortunately one person was seriously injured. We don’t know his exact condition, but he suffered burns, and this also suggests that it was an explosion caused by gas, which also causes flames.”
“There was a very loud explosion, a building collapsed and the wall of Villa Pamphilj was also damaged. We are carrying out surveys to evaluate and ascertain the regularity, as it currently appears, of the accommodation facility.
“For safety reasons, there are evacuations of the apartment buildings and buildings that may be at risk, and then there will be all the surveys.”
A fundraiser which which had been launched to support Grant’s daughter raised over £11,500. To donate visit here.