Manchester United beat Burnley in the Premier League on Saturday afternoon thanks to a penalty scored by Bruno Fernandes deep into second-half stoppage-time
Burnley co-owner JJ Watt was not a happy man after Manchester United claimed a last-gasp win over the Clarets on Saturday. Bruno Fernandes scored from the penalty spot deep into added time, after Lyle Foster and Jaidon Anthony had dragged the visitors back in contention.
Anthony went from hero to villain as he was penalised for a tug back on Amad. The foul was missed in real time, but awarded after a VAR check.
While the winger definitely had hold of Amad’s shirt, Watt’s issue concerned where the foul had taken place. “It was outside the box…” he argued on social media, though the officials felt contact had continued into the penalty area.
A number of fans disagreed with the former NFL star, who has been a minority owner at Turf Moor since 2023. “Even if pulling starts outside the box but continues inside the box then it’s a penalty,” one said.
“Ended inside the box. Think that’s the rule on shirt tugging,” wrote a second. A third, meanwhile, argued United should have had a penalty earlier in the match after a clash between Kyle Walker and Mason Mount, with VAR overturning on-field referee’s decision on that occasion.
READ MORE: Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd plot £40m move, Liverpool eye surprise deal, Nicolas Jackson statementREAD MORE: Kobbie Mainoo transfer twist as Man Utd nervously wait for update after Burnley clash
Burnley manager Scott Parker also voiced frustrations after the late penalty award. “In the modern day and the way football is these days, it’s become very sterile,” he said.
“That’s the way the game has gone – multiple checks of every single second and phase. It is what it is but of course we’re hugely frustrated and disappointed with how the game has ended.”
Burnley have lost both away games in the league but this was a closer-run thing than their opening day reverse at Tottenham. South Africa striker Foster got off the mark for the season after scoring five times in the Clarets’ last Premier League campaign, but he too was left frustrated by the manner of his team’s defeat.
“I’m disappointed for the game to end the way it ended,” Foster said. “I feel like we deserved something from the game, for it to end in that way I think it was a bit unjust. It is what it is, unfortunate. We played really well, and I think we can be proud of that.”
The striker, who also had a goal disallowed for offside, added: “I’m grateful to have scored and more than anything for the performance by the team. That’s why I feel like it stings so much to walk away with nothing.”
Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
Sky Sports discounted Premier League and EFL package
£49
£35
Sky
Get the deal here
Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle ahead of the 2025/26 season, saving members £336 and offering more than 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.
Sky will show at least 215 live Premier League games next season, an increase of up to 100 more.