You don’t have to spend hours slaving away in the kitchen to enjoy a moist piece of cake. Jamie Oliver’s latest creation takes less than 10 minutes to make and means you won’t be washing a million pots and pans
Warm yourself up this winter with a little treat that takes just 10 minutes to make.
TV chef Jamie Oliver was recently challenged to make a ‘hug in a mug’. The result: a moist chocolate sponge cake that you can simply whack in the microwave and then tuck into. It’s a great way to entertain the kids and use up any leftover Christmas chocolate (if that’s even a thing in your house).
“This basis of a recipe is brilliant,” the celebrity said, pointing out that you can tweak the flavour depending on the time of year. He recommended adding lemon zest, ginger, cinnamon, or coffee for those wanting a flavoured sponge. Here’s everything you need to know about the easy crowdpleaser.
Jamie Oliver’s microwave cake recipe
Ingredients (serves four)
- 1 small ripe banana
- 4 tbsp of self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp dark sugar
- 1 large egg (free range)
- Pinch of salt
- Leftover Christmas chocolate (optional)
Want big news with big heart? Get the top headlines sent straight to your inbox with our Daily newsletter
- Add the banana, self-raising flour, olive oil, and dark sugar, egg, and a pinch of salt to a food processor and blitz until ‘nice and smooth’. If you don’t have a food processor, mush the banana up with a fork then hand whisk the ingredients together.
- Using a spatula, divide the mixture equally into four mugs. The batter should be around 2cm in depth. If you’re adding chocolate to the cake, place a piece or two into the batter (Chocolate Santas work great for this recipe).
- Place the mug into the microwave for one a half minutes. You can also prep the cakes in advance. Simply store the batter in the fridge then microwave when ready to serve. When cooked, the cake should have doubled in size.
Et voila! Serve with yoghurt, custard, ice cream, or whatever tickles your fancy. To quote Jamie Oliver: “Have fun with it.”
Do you have a story to share? Email us at [email protected]