David Joyce, aged 38, has been named as the man who was shot dead by armed officers at Milton Keynes railway station on Tuesday after running towards with with a knife
A man shot dead by armed officers at Milton Keynes railway station has been named as 38-year-old David Joyce by the police watchdog.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), which has launched an investigation into the incident, said bodyworn footage and CCTV showed Mr Joyce run towards police officers with a knife in his hand just outside the station entrance at 1.04pm on Tuesday. The watchdog said it had established that Mr Joyce, who is from Milton Keynes, was killed by one shot fired at close range.
IOPC director Derrick Campbell said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of this man and all of those affected by this tragic incident. Given a man has died after being shot by police, our role is to independently investigate all of the circumstances surrounding this incident including the actions and decisions taken by the police.
“We appreciate that this incident outside a busy train station will understandably cause concern. We know the community will want answers quickly and our investigators are working hard to establish the facts as we piece together what happened and how.
“We have obtained details of some members of the public who witnessed the incident who we will be contacting, however we know there were many people near the station around the time of the shooting and we want to hear from anyone who may have seen the incident or has footage of it.
“We have contacted the man’s family and will meet with them soon to explain our role. We will keep them regularly updated throughout our investigation. Witnesses to the incident can contact us on 0300 303 5727 or by email at [email protected]”
Thames Valley Police previously said on Wednesday that armed officers challenged a white man who was carrying a knife outside the station before he moved at speed towards them and a shot was fired. Matthew Barber, police and crime commissioner for Thames Valley, said he was “confident that the officers should be praised for their actions”.
He said: “Early yesterday afternoon Thames Valley Police received a report of a man carrying a gun at Milton Keynes railway station. When challenged, the man moved at speed towards officers with a knife and was shot by the police.
“Despite attempts by police officers to provide life-saving first aid, the man was pronounced dead at the scene. Whilst this is of course a shocking incident there is no ongoing risk to the public.
“Of course it is right that the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) review this incident, but from what I understand at this early stage I am confident that the officers should be praised for their actions to protect members of the public.”
He added: “Whilst it is right that yesterday’s incident is independently reviewed, it is important that we also recognise exactly what we are asking of our armed police officers.
“It is tragic that a man died in yesterday’s incident, but I am thankful to the police officers who responded bravely and acted decisively in order to protect the public. If they had not done so the outcome could have been much worse.”