Keir Starmer vowed to bring in Hillsborough Law before the next anniversary of the 1989 disaster to ensure justice would never again be blocked by public officials trying to conceal wrongdoing

The Government has told families Keir Starmer will miss his own deadline to bring in Hillsborough Law
The Government has told families Keir Starmer will miss his own deadline to bring in Hillsborough Law(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Hillsborough families have been told that Keir Starmer will fail to meet his pledge to introduce a new law to prevent state cover-ups before the next anniversary of the disaster.

The Prime Minister vowed to bring in Hillsborough Law to ensure justice would never again be blocked by public officials trying to conceal wrongdoing. It was due to come before April 15, which marks 36 years since 97 fans were killed by a crush at an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield. They were found to have been unlawfully killed after gross negligence by police, who also lied and doctored evidence.

The proposed law would create a legal duty of candour for all public officials, such as police officers, with criminal penalties for lying or withholding information. It also includes a commitment to legal funding to help victims in David and Goliath-style battles with official bodies.

In September, Mr Starmer promised Labour conference to bring in “a law for Liverpool, a law for the 97, a law that people should never have needed to fight so hard to get.” But in a letter to families, seen by the Mirror, Justice Secretary Shabana Mahmood and Cabinet Office Minister Nick Thomas Symonds admitted that the bill won’t be ready in time.

READ MORE: Hillsborough families ‘livid’ as police watchdog finds top cops DIDN’T smear fans

Thousands of flowers, wreaths and tributes were laid on the pitch at Anfield in memory of those killed in the Hillsborough disaster in 1989(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

The letter said: “We appreciate this will be disappointing news. The slow pace of justice has, over the years, been one of the many ways the state has failed the Hillsborough victims, families and survivors.

“Yet having consulted with groups and representatives over the past few weeks, we believe it is right that we take more time to ensure we have the best, most effective Hillsborough Law.”

Draft legislation has been prepared but progress has stalled amid disagreements between ministers and campaigners over the strength of safeguards against lying or concealing the truth. It is understood that applying a duty of candour to all public officials is now seen as unworkable by the Government – something denied by campaigners.

There are also concerns about the promised legal funding, with proposals for it only apply to deaths in police custody, victims of terrorist attacks and local council wrongdoing. Tensions heightened when Mr Starmer abruptly cancelled a summit with the Hillsborough families due to be held last week.

Fans mark the 35th Anniversary of Hillsborough with a banner reading “Hillsborough Law Now” last year(Image: Getty Images)

Campaigners fear the bill is being watered down and expressed alarm at the delay. A source said: “The whole thing doesn’t resemble anything like our bill at all. They’re kicking us into the long grass.”

The suggestion that elements of the bill are impractical has sparked fury from campaigners, as it was first proposed in 2017. The source said: “It’s not a piecemeal document that’s never been tested. It went through rigorous tests. It was dragged to bits by lawyers and judges… it’s not just a pie in the sky bill we’ve decided is a good idea.”

Labour MP Ian Byrne, a Hillsborough survivor who represents Liverpool West Derby, told the Mirror: “It’s extremely disappointing to everyone connected to this campaign that we will not have a ‘Hillsborough Law’ worthy of its name in place before the anniversary on the 15th April.”

He said the Government was right to reflect on the negative response to its first version of the bill and said it needed to be redrafted with the original authors. Mr Byrne added: “We need a Bill brought forward that is a fitting legacy to all those who have suffered at the hands of the state.

“The only way to achieve this is to change the culture of cover-up and ensure future generations do not go through the pain and suffering endured by the families and survivors of Hillsborough and the many other cover-ups by the state.”

A spokesperson for Hillsborough Law Now said: “We are glad the Government has paused and we are looking forward to working with them on it to make it the best it can be.” The campaign is being supported by victims of other state injustices, such as the Grenfell Tower fire, the infected blood scandal, the nuclear test veterans and Covid bereaved families.

A Government spokesperson said: “The Hillsborough disaster is one of the greatest stains on British history, and the families of those who lost loved ones have shown endless determination to get justice.

“Having consulted with these groups over the past few weeks, we believe more time is needed to draft the best version of a Hillsborough Law.

“We remain fully committed to bringing in this legislation at pace, which will include a legal duty of candour for public servants and criminal sanctions for those who refuse to comply.”

READ MORE: Join our Mirror politics WhatsApp group to get the latest updates from Westminster

Share.
Exit mobile version