The Japanese government fears there is between a 70 to 80 per cent chance a so-called ‘megaquake’ could rattle the country within the next 30 years – in turn triggering a huge tsunami

A photo of a tsunami in Japan
The tsunami could reach nearly 100ft in height, according to an alarming report(Image: JIJI PRESS/AFP via Getty Images)

The Japanese government has issued a chilling warning over a ‘megaquake’ that could lead to nearly 300,000 deaths and economic collapse. A new Japanese report suggests there is an estimated 70 to 80 per cent chance a megaquake could rattle the country within the next 30 year, and official estimates warn tsunami waves towering more than 98ft high could hit the country.

It states as many as 298,000 people could be killed should a Nanakai Trough quake between an 8 to 9 magnitude strike. The number of deaths would also include 215,000 fatalities caused by tsunami waves. While the death toll would be astronomical, it is actually 10 per cent lower than a previous report’s estimates in 2012.

Hundreds of thousands of people could die should the megaquake strike (Image: Getty Images)

But the economic impact rose from $1.4trillion (£1tn) to $1.8trillion (£1.39tn). Nankai Trough megaquakes typically strike Japan every 100 to 150 years.

The trough off the Japanese east coast runs for about 600 miles where tectonic strains can result in huge quakes. Should the earthquake tip the highest level of Japan’s seven-number scale, it would make it virtually impossible for people to remain standing and buildings with a low resistance to strong tremors will collapse.

The US Geological Survey says in its frequently asked questions about tremors: “Japan is in a very active seismic area, and they have the densest seismic network in the world, so they are able to record many earthquakes.”

Nobui Fukuwa, professor emeritus at Nagoya University and the government’s earthquake task force said: “Unless damages are reduced, there are concerns about the nation’s future. We want the government to take countermeasures more seriously.”

Japan sits near tectonic plates that regularly send shockwaves through the Earth’s crust (Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Kyodo News, an outlet in Japan, said the country’s government would revise its “disaster prevention plan” and designate additional priorities based on expanded zones at risk of flooding.

The alarming warning comes just days after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake rattled Myanmar, killing thousands of people and causing widespread damage.

The earthquakes impact was felt across South East Asia, with tremors felt as far as China, India, Vietnam and Thailand, In Bangkok, several hundred miles away, high-rise evacuations were carried out after a skyscraper under construction collapsed in the Chatuchak district.

The UK Government has said there are no British nationals unaccounted for after the earthquake in Myanmar last week, as it offered “solidarity and support” to the country.

MPs from across the House also called on the Government to establish an aid match scheme to ensure “as much money as possible can reach the front line in Myanmar”.

Foreign Office minister Catherine West said more than 3,000 people have died so far after a powerful 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar at midday local time on Friday, with the figure expected to rise “significantly” in the next few days,

The Government has pledged up to £10 million to support the humanitarian response “in the hardest hit areas of the earthquake”.

In a statement in the Commons, Ms West told MPs: “We currently have an update that there are no concerns regarding missing British travellers either in Myanmar or in Thailand.

“I’m sure I speak for those across the House in expressing our sincere condolences to all those affected by this terrible tragedy.

“This devastating earthquake has only added to the plight of people in Myanmar, who are already facing extreme vulnerability and hardship.”

Share.
Exit mobile version