Manchester United are building up to Sunday’s Manchester Derby, but boss Ruben Amorim has been struggling to inspire an upturn in form for the Red Devils over the past few months

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 12: (EXCLUSIVE COVERAGE) Amad of Manchester United in action during a first team training session at Carrington Training Ground on September 12, 2024 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images)
Amad is closing in on a return to action(Image: Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images)

Ruben Amorim is confident Amad will be back in action before the end of the season. The winger had been a key man for Amorim but suffered an ankle injury in early February and has been sidelined ever since.

Amorim has struggled to inspire an upturn in Manchester United’s form in his absence. The Red Devils sit 13th in the Premier League table with only eight games to play and are on course for their worst-ever season in the division.

The summer transfer window appears to be increasingly important for Amorim. A number of exits from Old Trafford are expected to raise funds for new players to come in and boost the squad.

One man who has been heavily linked with an exit is Alejandro Garnacho. And a fresh hint has now been dropped on the Argentine’s future at the club.

Having been defeated by Nottingham Forest in midweek, Amorim will be desperate to beat Manchester City on Sunday afternoon. Here, Mirror Football rounds up all the latest Manchester United news.

READ MORE: Cristiano Ronaldo tipped to complete shock purchase of LaLiga club – on one conditionREAD MORE: Man Utd wonderkid scores SIX times in first half as U18s make history vs Leeds

Amad update issued

Ruben Amorim believes that Amad will be fit to return to action by the end of the season. The Ivorian hasn’t featured since early February, after suffering an ankle injury in training ahead of the Tottenham Hotspur.

Amad had been one of United’s star performers in 2024/25, contributing eight assists and nine goals across his 36 appearances. And the Red Devils boss believes he will play a part in the run-in with eight Premier League fixtures to play and the Europa League quarter-final against Lyon.

“He’s doing quite well,” Amorim said. “We hope to have him before the season is finished. We’ll see, but he’s anxious to play, so we are waiting for him.”

Amorim admits Mazraoui headache

Ruben Amorim has admitted he is unsure how best to use Noussair Mazraoui(Image: Getty Images)

Manchester United boss Ruben Amorim has admitted he is not sure how to utilise the qualities of versatile defender Noussair Mazraoui. The summer signing has been deployed in a number of positions this term, including at No.10, with Amorim conceding it presents a dilemma.

“It’s hard to see the best position,” he said. “His background is like a full-back, in a defence of four. So in our way of playing, he can play in different positions.

“I see him as one of the defenders in this moment, because of his quality, he can defend. He can play one against one, defending, attacking. So I’m seeing him with a future to play as a wing-back and as a centre-back.”

Garnacho hint dropped

Alejandro Garnacho has put his house up for a sale amid increasing links with an exit from Manchester United. The 20-year-old has struggled to hold down a place under Ruben Amorim and is set to attract interest from a number of suitors in the summer.

The Argentine has now put his house up for sale, though it does not appear to be a sign that he is closing in on an exit. Instead, the winger simply plans to move into a smaller property after his circumstances changed.

Garnacho bought his current home when his parents and brother were living with him in England. They have since returned to Spain, and youngster is now after a smaller property for himself, partner Eva and son Enzo.

Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Manchester United content from Mirror Football. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Sky Sports launches discounted Premier League package

This article contains affiliate links, we will receive a commission on any sales we generate from it. Learn more

£43

£35

Sky

Get the deal here

Sky has slashed the price of its Essential TV and Sky Sports bundle in an unbeatable new deal that saves £192 and includes 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more.

Share.
Exit mobile version