The Mirror has fact-checked Rylan Clark’s claims about migration after he provoked an angry backlash for a rant about small boat crossings on ITV’s This Morning

Rylan Clark rolled back on a rant about migration after provoking an angry backlash.

The TV star said there was “something wrong” with the way small boat arrivals are treated during an appearance on ITV’s This Morning on Wednesday.

Rylan, 36, said there was a narrative that people who cross the Channel are told “welcome, come on in”. And he said many believe asylum seekers are given free phones and iPads – although the reality is much more complex.

During Wednesday’s on-air discussion, he said the country is built on immigration and praised medics from overseas who had treated his mum. But he went on to say he found it “absolutely insane” that people were risking their lives to make the dangerous journey.

READ MORE: DARREN LEWIS: ‘Rylan Clark needs pushback but ITV should be ashamed at what was broadcast’

Rylan  Clark rolled back on a rant about migration
Rylan Clark rolled back on a rant about migration(Image: ITV)

He claimed that Brits who don’t have their passport at airports get refused entry, but asylum seekers are “taken to a four-star hotel”. It provoked a fierce reaction on social media.

Addressing the controversy yesterday, he said: “Stop with this putting everyone in a box and maybe have conversations instead of shouting on Twitter. You can be pro immigration and against illegal routes.

“You can support trans people and have the utmost respect for women. You can be heterosexual and still support gay rights. This list continues.”

The Mirror has fact-checked Rylan’s rant below.

What Rylan said

The host claimed that small boat arrivals are given free phones and iPads. He said the narrative is “here’s the hotel, here’s the phones, here’s the iPad, here’s the NHS in reception of your hotel”

What the reality is

The Home Office does not provide mobile phones and iPads to new arrivals because these are not considered a basic need. But sometimes charities and churches may do so, along with basic items like clothes and food – which are not funded by taxpayers. Asylum seekers are entitled to free NHS care while their claims are being processed

What Rylan said

He said that if a British citizen turns up at Heathrow without their passport, they “won’t be let in”. But small boat arrivals “get taken to a four-star hotel”.

What the reality is

Some four-star hotels – such as the Britannia International in Canary Wharf – have been used for asylum seekers. But the Home Office says despite previous ratings, these hotels provide only basic needs once their use changes. It has previously stated: “If a hotel is used to house asylum seekers, the services and facilities it previously offered will therefore change, and its commercial star rating will cease to apply. As such, those ratings are not routinely recorded by the Home Office.”

What Rylan said

He also claimed that there is a narrative that people are told “here’s three meals a day, here’s a games room in the hotel. Have a lovely time and welcome.”

What the reality is

The Home Office has a legal duty to provide basic support to destitute asylum seekers while their claims are processed. They are legally banned from working, and so cannot earn money. They receive a very small allowance. If their meals are provided they receive £9.95 a week per person, and if they are in self-catered accommodation their allowance is £49.18.

READ MORE: Join our Mirror politics WhatsApp group to get the latest updates from Westminster

Share.
Exit mobile version