People have watched in horror as a car burst into flames in Amsterdam’s busy historic Dam Square and a man then stumbled from the blazing vehicle on fire himself

Amsterdam: Man exits flaming car in Dam Square

A car has burst into flames in the middle of Amsterdam’s historic city centre square sparking panic among people who have fled the scene as a man was seen on fire.

The vehicle was seen ablaze at Dam Square in the centre of the busy city which has been closed off for the second time in the last week. Local police believe the blaze was set by the driver, who was injured in the incident and later arrested. Shock photographs and video from the scene show a person, possibly the driver, being doused by local fire crews in heavy foam close to the burning car on the square.

Video taken from the scene showed the small red car well alight with thick smoke billowing into the sky, as people ran from the scene. Another shocking video showed the dazed driver with his trousers around his legs as emergency services arrived on the square.

Amsterdam Police said of the incident: “We have arrested the driver of the burning car. It concerns a 50-year-old man with Dutch nationality living in North Holland. We suspect the driver caused the fire himself. In this case, intent is taken into account. The driver was injured.

“CCTV footage shows the fire on Dam Square started after an explosion in the car. At that time, quite a few people were near the vehicle. As far as is known, no one was injured.

“To be certain which potentially flammable substances are in the car on Dam Square, we are still conducting an investigation with an Explosives Safety Team Leader.

“The Explosive Ordnance Disposal Service of the Ministry of Defence (EODD) will also be on site. The Dam will therefore remain largely closed off for the time being.”

It is currently not believed anyone was hurt in the incident, which is currently under investigation. One witness said: “Visiting Amsterdam, enjoying a nice lunch outside… and a car explosion and driver on fire. Hope all OK.”

Another witness said: “It sounded like an implosion, not a firework bang. A kind of underwater bang. Unable to place, but enough to scare. Very dull. Everyone started running, including me.”

Today’s incident comes a week after a man injured five people near Dam Square in a horrific stabbing rampage. Police have identified the suspect in the incident as a 30-year-old Ukrainian national from the eastern Donetsk region, who prosecutors said had terrorist intent.

Five people were stabbed last Thursday and video showed a mystery man pinning the alleged attacker to the ground, who had his hands restrained behind his back, as a crowd of people in the area gather round. He was later hailed as a ‘true hero’.

The attacker was eventually overpowered by pedestrians before the police arrived and arrested the man, witnessed stated. He was then taken to hospital with a leg injury.

Share.
Exit mobile version