Russell Brand has been charged with a number of sexual offences including rape, the Metropolitan Police Service said today
Controversial comedian Russell Brand has been charged with a number of sexual offences including rape, the Metropolitan Police Service said today. The Met has issued a charge and requisition to the comedian in connection with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.
The police started investigating in September 2023 after allegations were made against the star, which followed the report by Channel 4’s Dispatches and The Sunday Times. The Met has concluded Brand should be charged in connection with alleged offences between 1999 and 2005, involving four women.
It is alleged that in 1999 a woman was raped in the Bournemouth area, in 2001 a woman was indecently assaulted in the Westminster area of London and in 2004 a woman was orally raped and sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London.
It is also alleged that between 2004 and 2005, a woman was sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London. Brand has previously denied allegations against him and stressed his relationships were all consensual.
Jaswant Narwal, of the Crown Prosecution Service, released a statement on Brand being charged. Narwal said: “We have today authorised the Metropolitan Police to charge Russell Brand with a number of sexual offences.
“We carefully reviewed the evidence after a police investigation into allegations made following the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary in September 2023.
“We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault. These relate to reported non-recent offences between 1999 and 2005, involving four women.
“He will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court for a first hearing on Friday May 2 2025. The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial.
“It is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy of the Metropolitan Police, who is leading the investigation, also said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.
“The Met’s investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police. A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at CIT@met.police.uk. “Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line.”
The comedian, who starred in Get Him To The Greek, will be appearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 2 May.
If you’ve been the victim of sexual assault, you can access help and resources via www.rapecrisis.org.uk or calling the national telephone helpline on 0808 802 9999*
Follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads.
READ MORE: Save 20% on ‘painless’ hair removal device that delivers ‘amazing results’